Salmon fishing rods choosing the right one, there are always the same questions. That’s why I wrote this detailed article, in which I would like to answer almost all questions about the characteristics of fishing rods and other questions around the topic of fishing rods. If you’re thinking about adding a new rod or just want to know more about fishing rods, this article is for you.
Equipment for salmon fishing
Knowing only about the behavior of the salmon is no reason to catch a salmon. In addition, it depends on the right equipment.
And this includes, for example, the right rod, the right role, the right fishing line, and the right hook. In the following, we want to show you exactly what is important and what you have to pay attention to.
Incidentally, if we are particularly convinced of certain equipment (the market is already huge anyway), then we point out and specifically recommend the fishing equipment.
Which rod should be used for salmon fishing?
- Anyone who wants to start with fly fishing will not get around the question of which fly rod he should use.
- Basically, on larger rivers that are partly embedded in breathtaking landscapes, a two-handed fly rod is often sufficient.
- For the one-handed rod, you can use an 8-series. With the two-hand fly rod, you can also work with a 9er.
- When choosing between one-handed or two-handed fly rods, make sure which handling is easier. Here you can, for example, based on past experience.
- Basically, if you are looking for a very flexible fishing rod, you should choose a two-handed rod in the cord class 9/10 and a length of about 14 feet.
Salmon fishing rods choosing the right one
First of all, you have to differentiate between ground and spinning rods. Also important is the waters for the choice of rod: If you fish on the Rhine mainstream, then it needs much stronger equipment, as on stagnant water, such as ponds and lakes. The next question to ask is whether or not there are obstacles to keep the fish away. Another obstacle is the mainstream of a raging river. If we fish in one of the big streams on catfish near a tree lying in the water, then the rod can hardly be strong enough. I fish in an obstacle-free lake on catfish and there are no 1.5 m fish to be expected, then even a decent carp rod reaches 3.5 lbs. Bending curve.
6 Important points for the decision
If you want to buy a rod I recommend you to reconsider these 6 points for you. Further down in the text you will also find a more detailed explanation of what makes these rod features and what should be considered.
- Select fishing technique: here you decide on one or more fishing techniques, whether spin fishing, bottom fishing, feeders or even fly fishing is probably the first and most important step in rod selection. The fishing technique decides together with the target salmon fish about the action of the rod.
- Transport dimension: not everyone has a van or combi, with which also one-piece rods of 2.6 m length or more can be transported. Here is the question of the transport length and whether you want a classic two-piece rod, or rather a Telskoprute or even a Reiserute.
- Select target salmon fish: the target fish decides on the rod strength for trout, it may well be a light and thin rod, while for catfish it just needs a thick and especially strong rod
- The waters: This is mainly the rod length, but also has an influence on the rod strength again. For small water you do not need a long tail (which are also a bit more expensive), for a large lake or at sea, however, you usually need longer rods. Also, you have to have the next point in my head here I fish at the torrent on Barbe, I need very high lead weights and therefore also weighs my assembly a lot.
- The bait weight or assembly weight: This is where the casting weight decides. The optimum casting weight of most rods is often in the middle of the given casting weight.
- Shore or boat: If you start from the boat, the rods should always be a bit shorter. 2.4 meters is often the maximum that you should fish from the boat. From kayak or Belylboot short rod, handles are very important in handling. Here, the rod length and handle length decide.
Properties of salmon fishing rods
As already mentioned, rods have various properties that make them particularly suitable for a fishing technique or a target fish. More details about these properties can be found in the following paragraphs.
A measure of rod strength the casting weight
The casting weight provides an indication of how strong a rod is. It’s far from the only criterion for the rod strength but certainly the most important.
As already mentioned the 6 points, when choosing the casting weight always pay attention to how heavy the baits and mounts are that you want to throw. The optimal casting weight is usually in the middle of the given range. Sportex often gives only a number on its rods, which represents the optimum and a tolerance. Usually, there is always an area indicated by which the rod charges well for throwing.
Action, bending curve, return speed
There are three properties of the rod action. The return speed, the rod strength, and the rod action. The rod action is something absolutely crucial because there are big differences between different fishing rods. The actions should be tailored to the target fish and fishing method.
For many rods, the manufacturer specifies at least the ” rod strength ” from which conclusions can be drawn about the other two properties. The rod strength goes from UL for ultralight to XH for Xtra heavy. UL rods are for bass and trout or even white fish, while XXH rods are for tropical saltwater predators.
First of all, the rod action: this determines how far our rod bends under load, there are three basic types
- Parabolic action: The rod bends under load to the handle. Such rods are classic Salmonidae for salmon.
- Semi Parabolic Action: The rod bends under load to the middle. Typical spinning rods often have a semi-parabolic action often associated with an ML rod strength
- Tip action: Such rods bend only once in the top, of course, they turn even under very heavy load on. Typically, such rods for the rubber fish fishing on salmon.
Very important is also the return speed, because this indicates how fast the rod bends again after a load. There is a direct relationship with rod strength.