You would have heard about tools like Folder Lock which are used for locking the files and folder on your computer but do you know that you can do the same thing without using folder lock. That is right, it is possible to lock the files and folders with help of WinRAR and another advantage of this is that the tool can help you in encrypting the file and compressing the file at the same time. Let us now look at the procedure of locking the files and folders with Password using WinRAR on PC
Steps to lock files and folders with Password using WinRAR on PC
- To start to the process, you must launch the WinRAR. If you do not have the software installed on your PC then you can click here to download and install the software. Choose the correct version as per your operating system.
- Launch the software after installing it and from the Add button on the top right corner, add the files available. On clicking of the button, a window will open which can be used to add the files.
- In the next step, select all the files you added and make a right click on the selected files. From the menu, click on Add to Archive option.
- A new menu box will be displayed and you can then rename the final file from the first column. In the next step, you need to click on set password. This will open another window where you can enter the password for your new file. Ensure that you check on the encrypt file names. Clicking on this option is really important as if you do not check on the file then anyone will be able to view the names of the file in the newly generated rar file.
- Click on the ok button to create a file. The file will now be created and if you try to open the file then it will ask for a password. This will avoid any unauthorized access to the file saved.
This was the easiest way to lock the file and you can use it as and when required. You do not need any sort of software apart from WinRAR and in addition to this; it is also the safest method to transport the file in pen drive or any other external source.